Positive Drug Test? Call us: 252-915-8966
Substance Abuse Professional Services (SAP)
Are you a DOT employee with an alcohol or drug testing violation, you are required to see a DOT qualified Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)…
What is a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)?
The Department of Transportation (DOT) regulation — 49 CFR Part 40 — defines the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) as a person who evaluates employees who have violated a DOT drug and alcohol regulation and makes recommendations concerning education, treatment, follow-up testing, and aftercare.
The SAP is not considered an advocate for the employer or employee. His/her recommendations protect the public safety in the event that the employee returns to the performance of safety-sensitive functions.
- The SAP conducts a face- to- face assessment of the employee and will recommend treatment, education or both.
- The SAP sends a copy of the report and recommendations to your employer.
- The SAP is required to monitor your progress in the recommended treatment or education program.
- If the employee completes the treatment or education program he will then schedule a follow-up evaluation with SAP.
- As a result of the follow-up evaluation the SAP will report to the employer that the employee has been compliant or non-compliant with recommendations.
- If the SAP reports that the employee has been compliant then the employer determines whether to allow a return to duty test for the employee. It is the employer’s option whether to take the employee back. If the employee has not been compliant they cannot return to safety sensitive work.
- Upon return to work, the employee must complete drug testing per SAP recommendations which will be implemented by the employer.
Nekisha Williams is an approved SAP meeting the national DOT guidelines. She works with companies regulated by the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) as well as the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). I am here to help you reach your goals.
Non-DOT Substance Abuse Evaluations
Tailored to your company’s needs. Call to discuss.
Complimentary initial consultation for employers and EAP’s
**Please contact me if you have questions or would like to schedule an SAP evaluation. In many cases appointments can be scheduled within 48 hours.